Cafe Insurance - Home

Insuring a New Cafe

Published: 28 October 2013

Opening a new cafe is an exciting and often stressful time.

There are plenty of things to think about, from the name and location of the cafe to the brand of coffee you'll use.

Whilst it's not the most exciting thing to think about, business insurance is something that needs to be relatively high on your agenda.

After all, there's no point putting your heart and soul (and a lot of money) into something if you could potentially lose the lot.

Insurance options

From our experience there tends to be two different options that people take when insuring their new cafe.

There are those who want the absolute minimum and cheapest cover to get their cafe opened, and those who want to protect their cafe properly from day one.

Minimum cover

Money is almost always an issue when opening a new business of any kind.

For a new cafe, there is generally more interest in spending money on the fit-out and perhaps some local marketing rather than insurance.

For this reason, some new cafe owners choose to spend the least amount of money possible on their insurance.

In most cases this means public liability and glass insurance. Why these two? Because they are both requirements under most lease agreements.

As long as you have a policy which includes these two covers you will be able to open your cafe whilst keeping your landlord happy.

In terms of what they cover, public liability will cover you if a member of the public suffers a personal injury or property damage whilst on your premises.

For a cafe, typically the major risk for personal injury is slip and fall. This type of event is covered under a public liability policy provided that your business is found to be responsible.

Glass insurance covers the breakage of any fixed glass within your cafe, which you will be responsible for under your lease agreement.

In our opinion taking out the minimum cover is a risky option, but if this is all you choose to take out we will still do our best to look after you and find you the best value cover.

Full cover

Full cover will mean different things in different situations, but ultimately it means insuring your cafe against all (or at least most) potential risks.

We have detailed the most common types of cafe insurance in this guide (follow the link) so we won't go over them all again.

Broadly speaking, a comprehensive insurance package should cover the minimum requirements (public liability and glass) plus the additional risks such as theft or damage to your property.

Seeking advice

When opening a new cafe we recommend taking the time to speak with a qualified insurance broker who understands cafe businesses.

Here at CafeCover we have access to a network of brokers who understand the industry and can assist you with the insurance you need to get going.

Because they have arranged insurance for cafe owners in the past they can tell you from experience which types of insurance may be best suited to your individual needs.

For more information please call us or complete our online enquiry form.


Australia Wide Service

We can assist cafe owners and operators throughout Australia.

Wherever your cafe is located, our team can assist you via your preferred contact method.

Expert Service & Advice

Our network of insurance advisers and brokers specialise in small business.

They know the risks that cafe owners face, and they know how to get the right insurance in place for you and your business.

Personal Protection

We understand that whilst it's important to protect your business, you also have to protect yourself.

That's why our team also consists of a personal risk specialist who can help you with cover including income protection and life insurance.

New Cafe Specialists

One of our areas of expertise is helping new cafes and first-time owners.

Business insurance can be daunting if this is your first business, but our team can help you through the process to make it as easy as possible.

Get a Quote!

Want to know how much insurance is going to cost your business?

Simply get in contact with us or complete our online quote request to receive quotes on your cafe insurance needs.

The CafeCover website is for information purposes only and to link cafe owners with insurance professionals who assist with quotes and service.

We do not hold an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) and are not licensed to provide insurance products, however the insurance professionals we partner with are. For more information please refer to our terms of use.

The contents of this website is general in nature and has not been prepared with your personal circumstances in mind. Before making any decisions relating to your insurance you should first seek advice from a qualified and licenced insurance professional. You must not make any decisions based solely on the contents of this website.

About Us
Terms of Use