Cafe Insurance - Home

Cafe Public Liability Insurance

Published: 26 August 2013

There are numerous forms of business insurance available for cafes, but the most popular is public liability.

Thinking about your cafe, what do you think you biggest risk is? Aside from not making enough money to pay the bills, the biggest risk is that someone injures themselves on your premises.

Public liability insurance can protect your business against the financial impacts of personal injury or property damage being suffered by a customer or member of the public.

In this guide we will take a look at exactly what public liability cover and how your cafe business can benefit from it.

What is covered?

Public liability will cover your business in the event that another person suffers personal injury or property damage as a result of your business activities.

This could be as a result of a slip and fall injury within your cafe, or even burn injuries suffered as a result of scalding caused by a hot drink.

The damage of other people's property is also covered. An example of this could be if a waiter spilt coffee onto a client's laptop and caused damage to the item.

Public liability only provides cover for damage and injuries which are suffered by other people and have been caused as a result of negligence within your business.

Do cafes really need it?

Although public liability insurance is not required by law, it will be required under most lease agreements if you are leasing space for your cafe.

Considering the potential for claims to be made against you by members of the public, not having public liability cover is not something that cafe owners should ever contemplate.

Virtually all cafe insurance packages will include public liability, and in some cases you will not be able to take out other policies (such as glass cover) without public liability being included.

How much does it cost?

Public liability insurance is relatively inexpensive for cafe businesses, as they are not seen to be a particularly high risk compared to some other business types.

The cost of the cover will depend on a number of factors including the size of your cafe in terms of revenue, staff numbers and seating.

Other factors affecting the costs of your insurance will include whether or not your cafe is licensed to serve alcohol and whether or not you undertake any deep frying in your kitchen.

More information

Public liability is the most common form of insurance for cafes for good reason.

It provides millions of dollars of protection for a relatively small outlay, and can protect you and your business from potential financial ruin if something was to wrong.

For more information about public liability insurance for cafes please get in touch with us or complete our online cafe quote request.

We always recommend speaking with a qualified insurance broker before making any decisions on your insurance, and we have a network of brokers who are ready to assist you.


Australia Wide Service

We can assist cafe owners and operators throughout Australia.

Wherever your cafe is located, our team can assist you via your preferred contact method.

Expert Service & Advice

Our network of insurance advisers and brokers specialise in small business.

They know the risks that cafe owners face, and they know how to get the right insurance in place for you and your business.

Personal Protection

We understand that whilst it's important to protect your business, you also have to protect yourself.

That's why our team also consists of a personal risk specialist who can help you with cover including income protection and life insurance.

New Cafe Specialists

One of our areas of expertise is helping new cafes and first-time owners.

Business insurance can be daunting if this is your first business, but our team can help you through the process to make it as easy as possible.

Get a Quote!

Want to know how much insurance is going to cost your business?

Simply get in contact with us or complete our online quote request to receive quotes on your cafe insurance needs.

The CafeCover website is for information purposes only and to link cafe owners with insurance professionals who assist with quotes and service.

We do not hold an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) and are not licensed to provide insurance products, however the insurance professionals we partner with are. For more information please refer to our terms of use.

The contents of this website is general in nature and has not been prepared with your personal circumstances in mind. Before making any decisions relating to your insurance you should first seek advice from a qualified and licenced insurance professional. You must not make any decisions based solely on the contents of this website.

Website Information

About Us
Terms of Use